3/31/07

Why Build An Armoire?

There were a few reasons I wanted to build the Armoire.

  • I needed one. Old one was too small and not well made.
  • Had the time. Sold a business and grabbed the opportunity to do something other than jump right back into the working world.
  • Like working the wood;) Ever since I was a kid woodwork has been a hobby I have enjoyed. More on this below.
  • Had a vision. I knew pretty much what I wanted.
  • Good way to stay balanced.

More on this Balance point: I have spent the last 20 years mostly working in businesses that deal with products that are hard to touch: finance, consulting, Internet businesses, etc. Woodworking is very tactile. Each cut, every sanding stroke, each pass with the spray gun transforms what you are working on. You can see and feel the progress. I like that. I also like the fact that wood is imperfect. Woodwork is a constant negotiation between the original vision and the realities of the wood, with all its flaws. Working through the “what you got v.s. what you want” in a piece is a great way to stay balanced. It forces one to abandon type A, perfectionist tendencies and remember there is beauty in the imperfections.

No comments: